We are searching data for your request:
Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cooks In40 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 464 23%
Fat 23.8g 34%
Saturates 11.1g 56%
Sugars 44.3g 49%
Salt 0.6g 10%
Protein 10.2g 20%
Carbs 55.1g 21%
Fibre 0.9g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 40 g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 90 g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75 g plain flour
- 40 g ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 30 g flaked almonds
- 5-6 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam
- 1 litre block of vanilla ice cream
By Annie Rigg
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4 and line a 28cm x 35cm Swiss roll tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, until it starts to turn golden brown and smells deliciously nutty.
- Remove from the heat and leave it to cool at room temperature.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl of a free-standing mixer, add the caster sugar and vanilla and whisk it on a medium-high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tripled in volume, thick and pale, and leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, ground almonds and baking powder with a pinch of sea salt, then gently fold this into the egg mixture.
- Pour the cooled butter around the inside edge of the bowl and gently fold this in too.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin, spread it level and scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake it on the middle shelf of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cake is golden, risen and springy.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes before transferring it, still on the paper, to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Use a 6cm cookie cutter to stamp out circles from the cake and place them top-side down on your work surface (if the cake is quite thick, halve it horizontally). Spread the underside of each with jam.
- Using the same cutter, stamp out discs from the ice cream slab, then sandwich each with jammy sponge, and serve.